- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon strawberry extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- sliced strawberries for garnish, optional
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepares two whoopie pie pans by spraying with cooking spray.
- Use a small bowl and toss strawberries with 1/2 teaspoon sugar until well coated. Let them sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Using a stand mixer, cream together shortening, butter and 3/4 cup granulated sugar. Add egg, heavy cream, strawberry extract and vanilla, continue to mix until combined. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add it slowly to the mixing bowl on low speed, mixing until just combined. Stir in strawberries and any strawberry juice left in the bowl. Refrigerate batter for 1 hour.
- To make the perfect cookie, each well of the whoopie pie pan should be filled with dough weighing between 40-42 grams. This will ensure even cooking and the cookies will not overflow out of the pan.
- Bake cookies for 14 minutes, remove from the oven and let them sit 2 minutes in the pan before gently removing to a cooling rack. Be careful as the cookies are delicate.
- When cookies are completely cool, mix together ingredients for the glaze and drizzle over the cookies. If the glaze is too thick to pour, add more cream in 1/2 teaspoon increments. If the glaze is too thin, add more confectioners’ sugar in Tablespoon increments.
- Add sliced strawberries for garnish if you choose. Cookies will keep up to two days in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container.
- Using a scale to weigh each cookie ball, ensures even cooking for all cookies as well as their size. Using a whoopie pie pan ensures the shape of the cookie. This is a very soft batter that will spread very flat on a regular baking sheet, a whoopie pie is a must for this recipe to ensure the integrity of the cookie. You will never bake cookies any other way again.
- No more than 1 cup of chopped strawberries can be used for these cookies.